Thursday, April 5, 2007

Everyday Gratitude

Several years ago, Oprah did a show on living a life of gratitude. She gave an assignment that day during the show. She suggested keeping a gratitude journal. Each day you were to write five things you were thankful for. Little or big, silly or serious, it didn't matter. The goal was to change the focus from what you wanted or what was lacking in your life, to the things you had and the good that surrounded you. According to Oprah, recognizing the good in your life was the first step to a living a life of gratitude.

She was right. I love my journals. There have been many days that just acknowledging what I had, changed my perspective and brought true gratitude to my heart.

But as much as I like Oprah, the idea for living a life of gratitude didn't originate with her. It originated with the Giver of all good things. He may not have told us to write them down in a journal, instead He took it a step further by telling us (through the words of Paul) to, "Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice." or as the Message Bible says it "Celebrate God all day, every day. I mean, revel in him!" Phil.4:4

I'm thinking a good way to celebrate Him is to recognize all the good in the life He has has given to me. So, here's what I'm rejoicing for today.........

1. My boy. He is a bright spot in every day. Here's what he told me tonight, "Mom, these black eyed peas are so good, you must have worked hard to make them. How did you do it? They are just so good. You are such a good cook." After I revealed my secret to him (I opened the can and dumped then in a pan), he said, "Well, you sure picked out a good can. Good Job!" That pure gratitude made my heart smile.

2. Coffee

3. Clean dishes, the rest of the house still needs work, but the dishes are clean.

4. A sweet note from my husband.

5. A God who loved me so much that He did not spare even His only Son so that I could live every day in the fullness of His love. Not just now, but for all eternity.

6. For the moment, the puppy is sleeping and not chewing a single thing.

4 comments:

  1. That was perfect. I'm going to borrow your idea soon and do it myself. We have so much to be thankful for - and you're on my list definitely!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Borrow it anytime:) I borrowed it from Oprah.
    You are on my list, too, and I'm not just saying that:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey - I was hoping to find you out here. I love to hear the places that God takes you! It seems like it is always what we need to hear too. We do have much to be thankful for and it is also a goal of mine to acknowlege that more. I'm not much of a journaler (is that a word?) but may need to become one...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea, Ronda, I'm glad you're here.

    ReplyDelete