Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Black Bean Burgers

Since I've been doing this no meat, no dairy, no flour cleansing diet, it's been a challenge to find dinners we can all eat. So, most nights I just make something for me and then something for the rest of the family. But I've been on a mission this week to find vegan/vegetarian recipes that everyone will like since it's a healthy way to eat.

Here's the latest find- Black Bean Burgers.


Now, no-one is going to be fooled into thinking they are eating a hamburger, but they are very tasty and stayed together well.

Here's the recipe I used. I added a few things for extra flavor. I'll put my additions in italics.




Ingredients

* 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
* 1 cup cooked brown rice
* 1 small onion, finely chopped
* 1 egg, lightly beaten
* 3 TBS salsa
* 1/2 green bell pepper finely diced
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 tsp cumin
* 1 tsp season salt
* handful of corn meal to bind them together
(the recipe called for bread crumbs, but they don't work for me. Corn meal was my best bet and it worked fine)




Directions

In a large bowl, mash beans with a fork. Add the rice, onion, green pepper, garlic, egg and 3 tablespoons salsa; mix well. Add in desired amount of corn meal. Scoop out a 1/2 cupful of the bean mixture. Shape into a patty. Place into a large skillet coated with olive oil. Cook over low to medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until firm and browned.

I served mine with all the normal burger condiments plus salsa and pepper rings since these had a Mexican taste to them. For mine, I topped it with salsa and it was great. Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment