Wednesday, April 13, 2011

27 Things about me...

Real blogging is hard for me. By real, I mean the deep, meaningful, here's what I really think, let the chips fall where they may blogging. It's something I want to get better at. I'm usually just afraid that because there is no facial expressions in blogging, I'm going to be misunderstood or offend someone without ever knowing it.  Soooo, when I saw this idea on someone's blog, I thought I'd give it a try. Just a stream of consciousness post...here's some stuff about me, here's what I think. A honest list.

I am a child of God and His friend, too. That thought overwhelms me with gratitude.

I am a mom of two miracle boys- one who made me a mom and one who surprised us all after many years of waiting. Even though Gabe is the one that has the story of infertility behind him, Grant is every bit as much of a miracle to me.

I'm married to my best friend. We aren't perfect. Our marriage isn't perfect. But I'm sure thankful. He makes me laugh. Everyday. I make him laugh, too. We get each other. And he sure is cute. It's nice to really like the guy you live with.

My heart's desire is to live a life that brings Him glory. Sometimes I do, a lot of times I fall short. I'm so thankful for grace.

So very thankful for Jesus. The gospel. Where would we be without it?

I am passionate about orphan care. Sometimes it's a loud passion. Most of the time it's a quiet, what can I do to make a difference passion. It's not just a humanitarian passion. I really believe that we are called to meet the needs of widows and orphans to communicate to them God's love. Though it's pretty hard to share the gospel with someone if you ignore their pain and suffering. The two need to go hand in hand. This passion has opened some doors for me to be involved with some great orphan care organizations. I'm thankful for that.

My toenails are always painted. Very rarely with pinks or reds. I usually use purple, blue or some other fun, unusual color.

I'm glad I made the choice to stay at home with my boys, even though sometimes I still really miss teaching. Especially in the early fall when a new school year starts. I miss the new students coming in, getting supplies ready and even open house.

I love to cook, bake and read cookbooks. I love learning about new ways to cook things. And I really love to share what I cook. Food is a great unifier/ community builder.

I always wear earrings.

I believe, truly believe, that U2 is the greatest rock band. Ever. But, as much as I love Bono, and I do love Bono, :) he's not my favorite band member. My favorite is Larry. The quiet drummer. The one who faithfully does his job and by all accounts is the backbone of the band. There is just something to be said about the guy who doesn't need all the credit, doesn't proclaim all that he does to make things work, but does what he loves anyway. I love that. And the fact that he rocks that Irish accent- and looks good doing it- doesn't hurt either.

Trust does not come easily to me, so once it's there it hurts even more when someone breaks it.

I don't say things like, "Your one of my best friends" easily or take it lightly. And it's kind of difficult for me to truly get the people that have lots of best friends. I'm not saying for them it's not possible. I just think our definition of "best friend" is different.

I love to hike, especially when it is cool and spring is coming.

I check facebook way too often now that I have a smart phone. Even though it is a "social network" I often feel more informed, but less connected when I read it. The truth is most people only post what they want you to see. It's not the most honest way to "know" what's going on. It's a weak replacement for face time. It has it's place, I just need to keep it there.

I value "truth over false unity". Crave it really. If we don't mean what we say and live that way, what's the point. If we can't work through the rough spots and love each other on the other side, we are missing something. If we can't talk about the things we need to work on or our difficulties with each other, are our relationships real?

I love quotes. Collect them. Read them a lot. Use them to describe how I'm thinking and feeling.

Quality time with the people I love is a true gift.

My brother Mark is one of the people in my life I'm proudest of. As his big sister I think I can say that without it sounding too silly. I tried to tell him that the other day and he laughed it off, but I meant it. He started his construction company from the ground up and it is now a successful business, but he still makes time for his family. Pretty cool to see him grow up to be a good man.  I'm proud of my little brother, too, who is also a great guy,  in case anyone is wondering.(Mom) :) Thankful for them both.

Jelly donuts from Dunkin Donuts are my favorite.

I don't like to exercise, but I do. Almost everyday for over a month now. I feel so much better when I do.

I'm not good at pretending. My poker face stinks. When something doesn't feel right or is bothering me, it shows all over my face. It can make things feel awkward some times, but I just can't help it.

After almost 17 years in the South, I've learned something. People are people everywhere. Southern hospitality is not always genuine. Northern people are not always rude. We are all just people and we would probably get along a lot better if we eliminated all the labels we give each other.

I am an out-loud processor, but I'm pretty selective about who I process with. I think it's that trust thing again.

Working with the youth at our church for the last several years has been one of the best things I've ever done at church. They stretch my faith and my study time with their questions. They keep me accountable to know what I'm talking about.  I love to hear what they think, listen to their ideas, watch them dream, pray with them and for them. There is something very rewarding about seeing these kids as they grow and mature into pretty cool people and knowing God let me have just a tiny part in their walk with Him.

I don't like musicals.

If I could wear jeans everyday of my life, I would. Actually, I pretty much do. I love that!

And there you go....

No comments:

Post a Comment