This is one of our new favorite recipes. I made it for community group last night and everyone liked it. So I'm sharing the recipe.
- 1 pound andouille sausage links, sliced (instead of Italian sausage)
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cubed
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I omit this since I use andouille sausage)
- 3 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2/3 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (I omit- I don't like the rubbery texture)
- 2 cups frozen sliced okra
- I usually have Tony Chachere's Cajun seasoning on hand for everyone to use in their own bowl. Adds a little extra heat.
- In a Dutch oven, brown sausage and chicken in oil. Remove with a slotted spoon and keep warm. In the drippings, saute red pepper, onion and celery until tender. Stir in the seasonings; cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the broth, rice and sausage mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Stir in tomatoes, shrimp and okra; cook for 10 minutes or until shrimp turn pink, stirring occasionally.