Monday, January 24, 2011

Stuffed Mushrooms


I love mushrooms. I like them in salads, ravioli, sauce, plain, fried, stuffed- pretty much any way you can prepare them. Unfortunately, Grant and Gabe think they are disgusting. So, we don't have them very often.

I found this great, healthy recipe for stuffed mushrooms several months ago and was waiting for a good chance to try it out. While I was at Costco the other day, I found a big container of perfect stuffing-sized mushrooms. So, I jumped at the chance.

Todd and I thought they were great. The boys ate cereal for dinner that night. Everybody wins!

Here's the recipe.
18 Large Mushrooms
1 tsp olive oil
1/4 cup minced onion
1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
1/2 tsp bottled minced garlic
1 shredded wheat biscuit (I didn't have these, so I used a couple handfuls of panko bread crumbs)
1 TBS (or more) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp Italian Herb seasonings (salt free)
1/2 tsp paprika
Ground pepper and salt


Remove and finely chop mushroom stems. (Discard the very end of the stem)
Heat olive oil over medium high heat. When oil is hot, add chopped mushroom stems, onion, walnuts and garlic. Saute until onion is tender about 4-5 minutes. Stir in bread crumbs, Italian seasoning and Parmesan cheese. Add salt and pepper til it tastes right to you. Spoon the stuffing into the mushroom caps. Arrange on the baking sheet. Then sprinkle with Paprika.

When I made them I didn't read the directions all the way through, soooo, I added the paprika early and then sprinkled it on top, too. We liked it that way, so that's probably how I'll do it from now on.

Some of my best recipe adaptations have come from not paying close enough attention to the directions. Some of my finest cooking disasters have come that way, too, but you live and learn, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment